About The Al Thani Collection
The Al Thani Collection contains an exceptional array of artworks spanning the ancient world to the present day. Encyclopaedic in its approach, and representing a diverse range of cultures and civilisations, this extraordinary collection celebrates creativity and the universal power of art through the ages.
The collection is shared through projects undertaken by The Al Thani Collection Foundation, a non-profit organisation whose core mission is to advance and promote art and culture. This objective is principally delivered through public art initiatives including sponsorships, museum projects, the staging of exhibitions, an international loans programme and academic publications – honouring artistic achievement across a rich diversity of cultures.
Exhibitions have been held at major institutions around the world: recent venues include The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (2014–15); Victoria and Albert Museum, London (2015–16); Miho Museum, Koka (2016); Palace Museum, Beijing (2017); Grand Palais, Paris (2017); Doge’s Palace, Venice (2017–18); Château de Fontainebleau (2018); Legion of Honor, San Francisco (2018); Tokyo National Museum (2019); and State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg (2020).
An international loans programme sees objects from the collection shared regularly with museums; recent loans have been shown at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford; British Museum, London; Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland; J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Museum of Fine Art, Boston; State Hermitage Museums, St. Petersburg; State Museum of Egyptian Art, Munich; and Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
In 2021 The Al Thani Collection Foundation will open a museum space at the Hôtel de la Marine. Located on the Place de la Concorde in the heart of Paris, the 400-square-metre space provides for the long-term display of works drawn from across the entire collection. It will host a permanent exhibition while also providing a venue for special exhibitions, educational events and seminars, as well as loans from our international museum partners.
Hôtel de la Marine
The Hôtel de la Marine is one of two palaces commissioned by Louis XV in the 18th century to adorn the royal square. Designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, First Architect of the King, it was built between 1757 and 1774 and originally served as the Garde-Meuble de la Couronne, the repository for the French royal collections.