Marlik, north-west Iran; 1100–900 BC
H. 6.8cm; diam. 7cm
This beaker is raised from a single sheet of gold with a flared rim and rounded edge at the foot. It shows four stags, depicted in profile, proceeding to the right, while the bottom of the vessel is decorated with an incised compass-drawn circle within which is a sixteen-petalled rosette.
The beaker was formerly in the Samuel Eilenberg and the Guennol Collections. It was shown at the landmark exhibition Sept mille ans d’art en Iran, which was held at the Petit Palais, Paris, in 1961–2 and was on long-term loan to The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, from 1965 to 2000.